630.289.8470

Every year, dogs are poisoned from everyday common items around our homes from plants, cleaners, human food, medications, insecticides, lawn fertilizers and more. What may seem harmless to us can in fact be very harmful or even fatal to our pets. It’s important to be able to recognize suspicious signs and know what to do if your dog ingests a toxic substance.

Signs:

  • Disorientation
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Seizures
  • Abdominal pain
  • Tremors
  • Agitation
  • Lethargy
  • Salivation (excessive)

If you know the toxic source of the poison, CALL your veterinarian IMMEDIATELY!  Also, if you have the container of the substance when you call your veterinarian, the information on the packaging can help determine the appropriate treatment. If the source is unknown, you’ll want to seek emergency care immediately.

If professional medical help is unavailable or you have questions about something being toxic to your pet, call a pet poison hotline, they have veterinary toxicologists available at all hours to answer questions.

 

National Animal Poison Control Center     888-426-4435

Pet Poison Helpline                                       800-213-6680

Animal Poison Hotline                                  888-232-8870