We may assume that a dog instinctively knows what toys are for them to chew. Some dogs need to be taught that it’s okay to chew only certain toys and not other household items.
Here are 8 Dog Training Tips for promoting positive chewing behavior:
- Anytime you see your dog chewing on their dog toy, tell them what a good boy/girl they are.
- Play games such as fetch with your dog’s toys so she associates them with fun times.
- Keep toys in every room so your dog always has something to chew on.
- Remember to handle toys frequently so they have your scent.
- Make them more appealing by stuffing them with treats or peanut butter.
- When your dog brings a toy, praise them.
- Start putting a name to the action: “Good boy, get your toy!” and reward them when they comply.
- Scatter toys throughout the house, walk to each room with your dog and tell him to find his toy. When he picks up the toy, reward him with praise and a treat.
Positive reinforcement goes a long way when it comes to teaching appropriate behavior. This is also a great way to bond with your dog and spend quality time together.
Whether you live in Bartlett, Hoffman Estates, St Charles, Elgin or Schaumburg, call us at (630) 289-8470 to learn more about the dog training we offer at Bark Avenue Daycamp.